Sunday, June 19, 2011

I Could Quiche You!

Due to technical difficulties with Blogger, the recent heat wave we are presently incurring and my usual lazy ass self (upon which I blame the heat), I am just now posting my review of last month's Cheese Calendar Recipe. For those of you not familiar with these recipe reviews, please click on the "cheese calendar" label at the bottom for the history of these reviews because, frankly, I'm just too hot and bothered (and not in a good way) to do the links.

At any rate, May's recipe called for a quiche - namely, a bacon quiche. Now, I'm not a great fan of eggs in the first place but the recipe calls for, basically, scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese and baked in a pie crust. I like scrambled eggs. I like bacon. I like pie crust. Oh, and I like cheese. A no-brainer!

It’s a very simple recipe and great for a brunch and would even suit as a dinner entrĂ©e for those who want protein without having to mess around with too much cooking after a long days’ work. Oh, and did I mention it has BACON!

Bacon Quiche
Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs, beaten
  • 12 (or more) slices of cooked bacon, crumbled
  • ½ cup of milk
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 cup grated Havarti cheese
  • 1 deep dish pie crust (in the frozen section of your grocery store – or, hell, make one yourself!)
  • salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees
  • Beat eggs, milk, bacon, salt, pepper and basil until frothy
  • Pour mixture into pie crust
  • Sprinkle cheese over mixture
  • Bake for 35 – 45 minutes or until knife inserted into centre comes out clean

That is the basic recipe in the calendar but you could dress it up anyway you want. For instance, the bacon they sell here is very fatty, rather expensive and without much flavour (yeah, it sometimes sucks to live in the Bahamas – we get all the crappy food) but you could use a nice pancetta or capocollo (spicy or not) or some other flavourful meat.

Even though I made this dish to the specifications of the recipe (as I promised to do with all of recipes in the calendar), I would likely add sweet peppers, onions and some Worcestershire sauce.  As it is a quite versatile recipe, one could use it for those leftovers that won't make a full meal.

So, guys, real men can eat quiche.
*

*

*

No comments:

Post a Comment